Wednesday, January 30, 2008

O, I See Wut U Did Thar!

(Paraphrased) What is your favorite ad? Why is it your favorite, and what makes it effective?

Word of mouth=EPIC WIN.

First of all, this is a webcomic (by the way, xkcd apparently has more webcomic than Wikipedia). It is one of the few webcomics I read on a daily basis (the others are, of course, Ctrl-Alt-Del and Order of the Stick, if only because 8-Bit Theater doesn't have an RSS feed I can use with my Google homepage). It is written by a genius. Also illustrated and colored.
The man is amazing, I tell you. I don't have that much talent in my right pinky toe. Probably because it has a funny habit of going numb when I get cold.

That said, the most effective ad I've ever seen is on that page. You see the sidebar? The one with the blip about today's comic? Look lower. No, not there, we're not donating right now. We're not going to Dayfree Press either.
There. You see it? That little line of text, the one that says "recommended reading"?
That is the single most effective ad I've ever seen. It is the reason I read Dr. McNinja, Overcompensating, and Indietits. It is amazing. And hypnotic.
Like Picard.

Why is it effective? Because it is full of recommended reading from Jeph Jacques. This means that it is guaranteed to create laughter from nothing except for air and maybe a little bit of alcohol (if that's your thing. I don't like alcohol myself. My dad used to drink it and get angry, and boy, that just sucked. It's most of the reason I've been straightedge for the past three years).

There you go.

(Paraphrasing again) Which ads don't you like? Why not?

Ehhh...anything except for recommended reading from my favorite webcomics? I use the adblock extension with Firefox, so I don't see ads when I'm surfing the net.
I don't watch TV, so I don't see commercials.
I don't listen to the radio, so I don't hear those ads.
I don't drive and I read in the car when someone else is driving, so I don't see billboards.
I don't read magazines or newspapers, so I don't see those ads, either.
Oh, and the ads that randomly get dropped off in your mailbox? They are the cozy lining that keeps my real mail warm. I like them.

So uhh...yeah. Ads are bad, mmk?

Also, this is going in my blog. With better linkage.

Clicky clicky!

I told you.

No comments: